Trump said weighing new strikes as he seeks ‘decisive’ victory amid frustration with Iran talks
US President Donald Trump is seriously considering launching new airstrikes on Iran if there is no last-minute breakthrough in talks and has met with military leaders to consider targets, US media reported as Tehran accused Washington of making “excessive demands” in talks to end the war.
The reports by US news outlets Axios and CBS News on Friday came as a key mediator, Pakistani army chief Asim Munir, met with Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi in Tehran until late into the night, according to Iranian state media. Munir was also expected to meet Saturday with Ahmad Vahidi, head of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, Axios said.
Unnamed sources who spoke with Trump were cited by the news site as saying the president was seriously considering renewing the strikes on Iran if there were no last-minute breakthroughs in the talks.
The president discussed the situation Friday morning in a meeting with top US officials including Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth, CIA chief John Ratcliffe and White House chief of staff Susie Wiles, the sources said.
The New York Times reported that the meeting appeared to be a review of military options should he resume strikes and noted that possible new targets could include Iran’s energy sector, missile launch sites that have been restored, and an attempt to destroy Iran’s stockpile of highly enriched uranium that remains buried after the site was targeted last year.
A source close to Trump told Axios that the president has raised the possibility of a final “decisive” major military operation, after which he could declare victory and end the war.
Sources close to Trump were cited saying the president has grown frustrated about the talks over the past few days. Trump told Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday that the US president wanted to give diplomacy a chance, but by Thursday night, Trump was leaning toward launching strikes, the sources said.
Unnamed sources with direct knowledge of the planning were also cited by CBS as saying several US military personnel and intelligence officials have canceled their plans for Memorial Day weekend,........
