Israeli contractor killed, his son wounded by Hezbollah drone in southern Lebanon
A Defense Ministry civilian contractor was killed and another was wounded by a Hezbollah drone in southern Lebanon on Tuesday, the military announced, as the Iran-backed terror group continued to target northern Israel and Israeli forces in Lebanese territory.
The slain contractor, 44-year-old Amer Hujirat from the northern town of Shfaram, was operating heavy engineering machinery in the Aitaroun area, close to Bint Jbeil, amid efforts to demolish Hezbollah infrastructure.
The explosive-laden drone directly struck the excavator being operated by Hujirat, killing him. His 19-year-old son, who worked for the same company employed by the Defense Ministry, was lightly injured by shrapnel in the incident, according to Ziv Hospital in Safed.
Hezbollah took responsibility for the attack, claiming to have targeted an Israeli bulldozer in Bint Jbeil while it was demolishing homes. Hezbollah said earlier that it hit the engineering vehicle with an explosive drone.
The Israel Defense Forces said Hujirat’s family was notified by the police of the incident. Despite operating in war zones, civilian contractors who have been killed are not recognized as fallen soldiers.
“The IDF and Defense Ministry extend their condolences to the family,” the army added.
Hezbollah has been stepping up its use of explosive unmanned aerial vehicles, triggering repeated sirens in northern communities in recent days, including on Tuesday evening. The drones have also targeted Israeli troops operating in southern Lebanon, killing one soldier earlier this week and severely wounding another on Monday.
Amid the........
