Drone strike hits Abu Dhabi nuclear plant; UAE, Saudi Arabia and UN watchdog condemn
The United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and the United Nations’ nuclear agency joined in condemnation after a drone strike targeted the UAE’s sole nuclear power plant on Sunday, sparking a fire on its perimeter.
The UAE decried the incident as an “unprovoked terrorist attack,” and the International Atomic Energy Agency expressed “grave concern.” Riyadh called the strike a threat to regional stability.
There were no reports of injuries or radiological release in the strike on the Barakah nuclear power plant in the emirate of Abu Dhabi. The UAE Defense Ministry said three drones came over its western border with Saudi Arabia, with the other two intercepted.
An official from the Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO), which operates the Barakah plant, said there were no casualties and the plant had not been damaged.
“It does not appear that there was a direct attack on the nuclear plant we manage and operate. It seems a fire broke out at other power facilities on the outskirts,” the official said, according to the Yonhap news agency.
No one claimed responsibility, and the UAE said it was investigating who launched the drones.
UAE presidential adviser Anwar Gargash appeared to blame the attack on Iran or its regional proxy groups.
“The terrorist targeting of the Barakah clean nuclear power plant, whether carried out by the principal perpetrator or through one of its agents, represents a dangerous escalation,” he wrote on X.
Iran has repeatedly targeted the UAE and other Gulf states with drones and missiles throughout the war, and continued such attacks on the Emirates earlier this month, despite a ceasefire being in effect between Tehran and Washington.
Iranian-backed Iraqi militias are also equipped with drones, as are Tehran’s allies in Yemen, the Houthi rebels, who have........
