We use cookies to provide some features and experiences in QOSHE

More information  .  Close
Aa Aa Aa
- A +

Churchill: Family's apartment turned into a nightmare

1 1 19
14.04.2019

Caption

Close

Albany

When David and Tiana Logan handed over $2,150 to rent an apartment on Hamilton Street, they assumed they were moving to a home that would be safe for their three young children.

But days after they occupied the apartment in mid-March, the couple grew concerned. The apartment seemed to be affecting the family's health.

"We started getting sick," Tiana Logan told me. "We started sniffling. We were coughing. We were having trouble breathing."

The Logans cleaned the three-bedroom apartment repeatedly, but it made no difference. The coughing and sniffling continued. Meanwhile, the Logans also began to notice concerning details — water stains on the walls and black spots in hidden corners.

Tiana, 35, and David, 49, a maintenance worker for the Albany City School District, became convinced their new home had a mold problem. Results from a home-test kit confirmed their suspicions.

The city agrees there is a problem. After inspecting the building on Friday, it issued a Notice of Violation for excessive moisture.

The Logan family has vacated the apartment, staying for now at an inexpensive hotel. But David and Tiana want something from the landlord: They want their $2,150........

© Times Union