Israel has list of all Oct. 7 participants, aims to kill or arrest each one — WSJ |
Israel has created a list of all Palestinians who took part in the October 7, 2023, Hamas-led attacks and is working to kill or arrest each one, The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday, citing current and former Israeli officials with knowledge of the matter.
According to the report, the list includes all Gazans who were identified as having crossed the border on October 7, as well as all Hamas leaders involved in orchestrating the massacre, during which some 1,200 people were killed and 251 taken hostage, mostly civilians, in the deadliest massacre of Jews since the Holocaust.
Israeli intelligence agents tasked with compiling the list of names did so by studying the plethora of video and photographic evidence of the attack posted online by terrorists on and after October 7 and running the footage through facial recognition software, the report said, as well as the contents of intercepted phone calls from people who breached the border into Israel that day.
Israeli officials told the US newspaper that intelligence officials add people to the list once there are at least two pieces of evidence placing them at the scene of any of the atrocities that took place on October 7.
The campaign has continued despite the ceasefire that has been in place in Gaza since October, the report said, pointing to the killing of Hamas Gaza chief Izz al-Din al-Haddad in an Israeli airstrike last week.
The campaign began immediately after the attacks, and “hundreds” have since been crossed off the list, the report added, saying that “no participant is deemed too insignificant” for Israel’s attention, including people who were not affiliated with terror groups and joined the invasion of southern Israel on their own accord.
In one case presented in the report, Israel identified a Gazan man who was filmed driving a........