We use cookies to provide some features and experiences in QOSHE

More information  .  Close
Aa Aa Aa
- A +

High Court agrees to reconsider order to demolish West Bank outpost homes

12 4 3
24.11.2020

The High Court of Justice on Tuesday accepted a petition by the state to again try a case involving Israeli homes in a central West Bank outpost built on private Palestinian land, three months after ordering structures demolished.

The state had petitioned the court to rehear the case with a larger bench, given the importance of the case, Hebrew-language media reported. Defense Minister Benny Gantz and Justice Minister Avi Nissenkorn had both argued that “an injustice has been done to the residents.”

In August, a panel of three judges ruled 2-1 that the state had three years to demolish homes in the Mitzpe Kramim outpost, saying a controversial legal measure allowing the government to seize private Palestinian land that had been built on by Israel “in good faith” could not apply.

Get The Times of Israel's Daily Edition by email and never miss our top stories Free Sign Up

The new hearing will focus on the bounds of the good faith argument, Justice Yitzhak Amit ruled. The date and the number of judges who will preside over the new hearing will be decided later, the High Court said.

Binyamin Regional Council chairman Yisrael Gantz said in August that the original ruling affected four permanent homes, 30 mobile homes and several other community buildings.

Gantz on Tuesday expressed pessimism that the court would overturn its ruling ordering the demolition of most of the homes. Binyamin Regional Council chairman Yisrael Gantz (left) and Yesha Council director Yigal Dilmoni speak to reporters in the Ateret settlement on June 16, 2020. (Jacob Magid/Times of Israel)

“Unfortunately, the court has proven........

© The Times of Israel


Get it on Google Play