At least two killed as Russia uses hypersonic Oreshnik missile in mass attack on Kyiv area
KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said Sunday Russia used the powerful hypersonic Oreshnik ballistic missile during a mass drone and missile attack on Kyiv on Sunday that killed at least two people, marking the third time the weapon has been used in the four-year war.
The intense aerial assault damaged buildings across the Ukrainian capital, including near government offices, residential buildings and schools.
The Oreshnik, which is capable of carrying nuclear or conventional warheads, struck the city of Bila Tserkva in the Kyiv region, Zelensky said in a post on Telegram. The target was not immediately clear.
Russia’s Defense Ministry on Sunday confirmed it used the Oreshnik, as well as other missile types, to strike Ukrainian “military command and control facilities,” air bases and military industrial enterprises. It did not specify where the targets were.
The ministry added that the attack was retaliation for Ukrainian strikes on “civilian facilities on Russian territory,” without immediately giving details.
Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday denounced a drone strike on a college dormitory in Russian-occupied eastern Ukraine, which Moscow blames on Kyiv, and ordered the Russian military to submit its proposals for retaliation. He said there were no military or law enforcement facilities near the college.
The death toll from the strike in Starobilsk had risen to 21 as search-and-rescue operations closed, the press service of Russia’s Ministry of Emergency Situations said late on Saturday. It said 42 other people had been injured in the attack the previous night. The Kremlin-installed authorities of the Luhansk region announced two days of mourning on Sunday and Monday to honor the victims.
At a UN Security Council emergency meeting on the strike, held at the........
