Starmer said unwilling to grant US permission to use UK military bases in Iran strike |
The UK is reportedly refusing to grant permission to the US to use British military bases for a potential strike on Iran.
According to a Thursday report in The Times, US President Donald Trump’s public withdrawal of support for UK plans to give up sovereignty over the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean — which includes the key Diego Garcia airfield — stems from the British refusal.
The British newspaper reported that US plans for a potential Iran strike included the use of Diego Garcia and the RAF Fairford base in England, both of which can only be used in any aerial campaign if the UK government agrees.
British Prime Minister Keir Starmer is said to be concerned that the Iran strike might violate international law.
On Wednesday night, Trump wrote on Truth Social that Diego Garcia might be needed were Iran not to agree to a deal, “in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous regime — an attack that would potentially be made on the United Kingdom, as well as other friendly countries.”
“Prime Minister Starmer should not lose control, for any reason, of Diego Garcia,” Trump stressed in the post, lambasting the British leader for considering letting go of the islands.
Britain had kept control of the Chagos Islands after Mauritius gained independence in the 1960s from British colonization. Britain evicted thousands of people, who have since mounted legal challenges for compensation. Trump said the claims by people from the Chagos Islands were “fictitious in nature.”
Under a 2025 agreement, Britain will transfer sovereignty of the Chagos Islands to Mauritius while retaining control of the strategically important Diego Garcia base under a 99-year lease.
“DO NOT GIVE AWAY DIEGO GARCIA!” Trump wrote. “I have been telling Prime Minister Keir Starmer, of the United Kingdom, that Leases are no good when it comes to Countries, and that he is making a big mistake by entering a 100 Year Lease with whoever it is that is ‘claiming’ Right, Title, and Interest to Diego Garcia.”
“This land should not be taken away from the U.K. and, if it is allowed to be, it will be a blight on our Great Ally,” he wrote, adding: “We will always be ready, willing, and able to fight for the U.K., but they have to remain strong in the face of Wokeism, and other problems put before them.”
Responding to Trump’s remarks, a British foreign office spokesperson said the deal was “crucial to the security of the UK and our key allies.”
“The agreement we have reached is the only way to guarantee the long-term future of this vital military base,” the statement added.
Trump’s comments mark the latest in an Anglo-American diplomatic rollercoaster over the deal.
Britain has said it had no choice but to make a deal after international court decisions threatened its ability to maintain the base under previous arrangements.
Washington last year gave its blessing to the agreement, but in January, Trump described it as an act of “great stupidity.” Earlier this month, he then said he understood the deal was the best Starmer could make, but added he would retain the right to “militarily secure” the base if needed.
On Tuesday, before Trump’s post, the US State Department had issued a statement which stated its backing for the deal.
“The United States supports the decision of the United Kingdom to proceed with its agreement with Mauritius concerning the Chagos archipelago,” the statement said, announcing talks between the US and Mauritius next week.
If so, we have a request.
Every day during the past two years of war and rising global anti-Zionism and antisemitism, our journalists kept you abreast of the most important developments that merit your attention. Millions of people rely on ToI for fact-based coverage of Israel and the Jewish world.
We care about Israel - and we know you do too. So we have an ask for this new year of 2026: express your values by joining The Times of Israel Community, an exclusive group for readers like you who appreciate and financially support our work.
We’re really pleased that you’ve read X Times of Israel articles in the past month.
You clearly find our careful reporting valuable, in a time when facts are often distorted and news coverage often lacks context.
Your support is essential to continue our work. We want to continue delivering the professional journalism you value, even as the demands on our newsroom have grown dramatically since October 7.
So today, please consider joining our reader support group, The Times of Israel Community. For as little as $6 a month you'll become our partners while enjoying The Times of Israel AD-FREE, as well as accessing exclusive content available only to Times of Israel Community members.
Thank you,David Horovitz, Founding Editor of The Times of Israel
1 In breakthrough, Israeli scientists use deep-brain stimulation to counter schizophrenia
2 White House: There are many arguments for striking Iran, they’d be wise to make a deal
3 Israel, US envoy reject Tucker Carlson’s claim he was detained and interrogated at airport
4 Vegetarian and vegan babies develop at same rate as meat-eating peers – Israeli study
5 Satellite images show Iran repairing and fortifying sites amid tensions with US
6 Iran insists on ‘right’ to enrichment as US builds biggest Mideast force since 2003
7 What Matters Now podcastAhmed Fouad Alkhatib: NGO admits Hamas controls Gaza’s hospitals. Why now?
8 ExclusiveUS approves formal communication channel between PA and Board of Peace — officials