Israel restores some restrictions in north amid Hezbollah fire, nixes major pilgrimage

Israel reimposed some gathering restrictions Sunday in the north, including the cancellation of a mass pilgrimage planned for next week, amid persistent attacks by Hezbollah despite a ceasefire in Lebanon.

The IDF Home Front Command tightened gathering limits after the whole country had been free of any restrictions since April 18, in light of the truces with Iran and Hezbollah.

Following a fresh assessment, the Home Front Command said gatherings in communities along the Lebanon border, as well as in Meron, Bar Yohai, Or HaGanuz and Safsufa in the Galilee, would be restricted to 1,500 people.

The restrictions were to remain in effect until Monday at 8 p.m., by which time another assessment would be held.

A full list of guidelines per locale can be found on the Home Front Command’s website.

Early Monday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said the premier had ordered the cancellation of this year’s main Lag B’Omer event on Mount Meron in northern Israel, typically attended by hundreds of thousands of ultra-Orthodox men, citing safety........

© The Times of Israel