We use cookies to provide some features and experiences in QOSHE

More information  .  Close
Aa Aa Aa
- A +

As Kabul blast death toll rises to over 170, US says another attack ‘likely’

2 0 0
27.08.2021

The United States pressed on into the final days of the chaotic airlift from Afghanistan amid tighter security and warnings of more possible attacks Friday, a day after a devastating suicide bombing at the Kabul airport killed well over 100 Afghans and 13 US service members.

The high-risk Kabul airlift operation to evacuate Americans and Afghan allies still faces “specific, credible threats,” the Pentagon said.

The blast claimed by the Islamic State jihadist group targeted US forces, but hit hardest the mass of people who had converged on the airport in a desperate bid to escape the Taliban’s feared hardline rule.

“We still believe there are credible threats… specific, credible threats,” Pentagon spokesman John Kirby told reporters. “We certainly are prepared and would expect future attempts, absolutely.”

The Pentagon also clarified that there was one explosion on Thursday, and not two as previously believed.

At the White House, President Joe Biden’s press secretary Jen Psaki said the country’s national security experts have said another attack is “likely” and the next few days will be “the most dangerous period to date.

Two officials said the number of Afghans killed rose to 169, one of the country’s highest death tolls in a terror attack. The US said it was the most lethal day for American forces in Afghanistan since 2011.

The officials who gave the Afghan death toll were not authorized to talk to the media and spoke on condition of anonymity. The number of dead was subject to change as authorities examined the dismembered remains.

There are more than 5,000 people inside the airport left to evacuate, US General Hank Taylor said, stressing that airlifts would continue “until the last........

© The Times of Israel


Get it on Google Play