Rubio claims Cuba refused $100M US humanitarian aid offer |
Rubio claims Cuba refused $100M US humanitarian aid offer
Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Friday that the Cuban government turned down a $100 million humanitarian aid offer from the U.S., as the nation continues to grapple with the fallout of a devastating hurricane, a weakened economy and a prolonged fuel shortage.
The U.S. provided $6 million in humanitarian aid to the island’s population in February that was distributed by Caritas, a nonprofit organization tied to the Catholic Church.
The U.S. was prepared to send more, but the Cuban regime was “standing in the way,” according to Rubio, who told reporters in Italy that he discussed the delivery of aid with Pope Leo XIV during a meeting at the Vatican this week.
“We’ve offered the regime there $100 million of humanitarian aid that, unfortunately, so far, they have not agreed to distribute to the people in Cuba,” the secretary of state said. “So, we did the hurricane relief, but we’re offering more, and it’s the regime that’s not accepting it.
“So, we discussed that, and we hope we can do it because we do want to help the people of Cuba, who are being hurt by this incompetent regime that’s destroyed the country and the economy,” Rubio added.
The head of Cuba’s foreign affairs ministry was quick to push back on Friday night, denying that the offer existed and blaming the U.S. for........