Key House Republicans press Hegseth, express skepticism on Pentagon budget

Key House Republicans press Hegseth, express skepticism on Pentagon budget

The top Republicans on the House Appropriations Committee on Tuesday seemed dubious of plans to fund the Pentagon’s $1.5 billion budget request as Congress waits to receive a supplemental request for tens of billions of dollars to fund the war in Iran.

Rep. Ken Calvert (R-Calif.), the chair of the House Appropriations defense subcommittee, pressed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth on the Trump administration’s bid to get roughly $1 billion through the typical funding request process and the additional $500 billion through supplemental requests. 

“The subcommittee needs to understand how the resources requested in this budget translates into real, measurable improvements in warfighting capability,” Calvert said during a panel hearing on the defense budget, adding that he has “serious concerns” about the Pentagon’s ask.

“Questions persist about whether we are building the depth and reliance required for a high-end conflict,” he said.

Hegseth insisted that the historic budget the Pentagon is requesting is “a fiscally responsible budget, and it is a warfighting budget,” arguing that the administration inherited a defense industrial base that had been “hollowed out by years of America last policies, resulting in a diminished capability and capacity to project strength.”

As to the White House’s method to hit its funding goal, the Pentagon chief........

© The Hill