Confusion over whether the Strait of Hormuz is open

Confusion over whether the Strait of Hormuz is open

Defense &National Security

Defense &National Security

Confusion over whether the Strait of Hormuz is open

President Trump on Friday celebrated over what he said was Iran agreeing to open the Strait of Hormuz, but it’s unclear exactly what Tehran means by  “completely” open.

Alton Dunham/US Navy via AP

Iran announced that the critical global shipping lane is “completely open” after being mostly closed since the war between the U.S. and Iran broke out earlier this year. 

“In line with the ceasefire in Lebanon, the passage for all commercial vessels through Strait of Hormuz is declared completely open for the remaining period of ceasefire,” Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Arahgchi wrote Friday in a post to social media. 

But Araghchi said Tehran was allowing the passage of all commercial vessels on a “coordinated route” through the waterway, suggesting Iran is still exercising control over which ships pass through, undermining Trump’s claims of freedom of navigation. 

The waterway remains “effectively closed” as vessel movements are confined to corridors that require approval, according to Kpler, a global trade intelligence source.

Trump reacted enthusiastically to Iran’s announcement but said the U.S. blockade remains in place. 

“IRAN HAS JUST ANNOUNCED THAT THE STRAIT OF IRAN IS FULLY OPEN AND READY FOR FULL PASSAGE. THANK YOU,” Trump posted to Truth Social. 

The news comes as the 10-day Israel-Lebanon ceasefire takes hold, potentially lifting a major hurdle to a peace deal with Iran. 

In another TruthSocial post, Trump claimed that Iran has agreed to hand over its “nuclear dust,” an apparent reference to its enriched uranium. Iran has rejected this claim.

“The U.S.A. will get all Nuclear “Dust,” created by our great B2 Bombers – No money........

© The Hill