Tennis’ biggest names are talking about boycotting a slam. Could they really do it?

Tennis’ biggest names are talking about boycotting a slam. Could they really do it?

May 7, 2026 — 10:30am

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

The battle over dollars and cents in tennis is one of the sport’s constants, and it could force the unthinkable – a boycott of one of its biggest tournaments by its biggest stars.

It’s already more than 55 years since tennis witnessed the impact of “the Original Nine” – nine women who took a bold stand, signing a $1 contract that ultimately created the foundation for the WTA and shaped the livelihood of top women’s stars for years to come.

But in the freshest battle between the people who put on the show and the bodies that run tennis, some of the sport’s biggest stars are demanding a greater share of revenue, with the next major on the calendar, Roland-Garros, firmly in their sights.

World No.1 Jannik Sinner, No.2 Carlos Alcaraz and Australia’s Alex de Minaur, plus leading women’s players Aryna Sabalenka, Iga Swiatek and Coco Gauff added their names to a statement that highlighted their anger that prizemoney is set to be less than 15 per cent of tournament revenue, well below the 22 per cent they are after to match what is on offer at ATP and WTA 1000 events.

Women’s No.1 Sabalenka said a tournament boycott at Roland-Garros, which starts on May 24, was possible. “I think at some point we will boycott it [the tournament], yeah – I feel like that’s going to be the only way to fight for our rights,” she said in Rome as the clay season ramps up at the Italian Open.

“Let’s see how far we can get, if it’s going to take [a] boycott … some of the things, I feel like it’s really unfair to the players.

“I just really hope that all of the negotiation[s] that we are having, we at some point are going to get to the right decision – to the conclusion that everyone will be happy with.”

Gauff, the world No.4 who lifted the Roland-Garros trophy last year, said she could “100 per cent” envisage players boycotting a........

© The Age