We use cookies to provide some features and experiences in QOSHE

More information  .  Close
Aa Aa Aa
- A +

Former FBI Deputy Director McCabe Says He Opened Obstruction Investigation After Conversation with Trump

2 15 240
14.02.2019

Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe said in an interview aired Thursday that he had rushed to authorize an investigation into possible obstruction of justice by the president out of fear that the president would soon fire him.

“I was very concerned that I was able to put the Russia case on absolutely solid ground in an indelible fashion that were I removed quickly or reassigned or fired that the case would not be closed or vanish in the night without a trace,” McCabe told CBS, which will air its full interview on 60 Minutes on Sunday.

According to McCabe, he opened the probe just one day after meeting with the president in May 2017, soon after Trump fired former FBI Director James Comey. McCabe served as the bureau’s acting director for 10 months before being fired just hours before he was set to retire. While it had been previously reported that Comey’s firing was what led the FBI to open a probe into the president’s possible obstruction of justice and his Russia connections—and whether those ties made him a counterintelligence risk—Thursday marks the first time McCabe has spoken publicly about the decision to open an investigation into the president.

“I was speaking to the man who had just run for the presidency, and won the election for the presidency, and who might have done so with the aid of the government of Russia, our most formidable adversary on the world stage, and that was something that troubled me greatly,” McCabe said in the interview.

“I was speaking to the man who had just … won the election for the presidency and who might have done so with the aid of the government of Russia." Former FBI acting director Andrew McCabe, Sunday on 60 Minutes.........

© Slate