We use cookies to provide some features and experiences in QOSHE

More information  .  Close
Aa Aa Aa
- A +

INF Treaty in the Context of the Situation in the IPR

28 4 1
19.02.2019

The announcement by President D. Trump of the intention to withdraw the United States from the Treaty on the Elimination of Intermediate-Range and Shorter-Range Missiles (INF Treaty), which was made at the end of December last year, continues to be on the list of world political events of paramount importance. The INF Treaty was signed in December 1987 (entered into force six months later) by the leaders of the United States and the USSR, which means that the document is bilateral in nature.

It is this fact that today turns out to be its main flaw, which could be treated conditionally tolerantly in the first few years after signing. At that time about 90% of the nuclear missile potential accumulated in the world was concentrated in the United States and the USSR. The remaining 10% (of France, Great Britain and China) could be considered a “small quantity”, which was neglected when considering the problem of maintaining stability between the two leading world powers, and, consequently, in the world as a whole.

However, over the next two to three decades, the political map of the world changed in such a radical way that the above “assumption” ceased to be correct. First, for the United States, in place of the former main geopolitical opponent (USSR), a new one in modern China emerges in an increasingly definite way. One of the main means of delivery of China’s nuclear ammunition is missiles of medium and smaller radius of action, which are not subject to the action of the US-Russian (since 1991) INF Treaty.

Secondly (and to some extent due to the first), the geographic center of the US confrontation considering the new global opponent is now in the Indo-Pacific Region (IPR), and not in the Euro-Atlantic, as was the case during the times of the American-Soviet confrontation. Both the previous and current American presidents spoke about the priority role........

© New Eastern Outlook