Strait of Hormuz showdown begins after U.S. warships enter Persian Gulf to help ships exit as Iran rattles saber

Strait of Hormuz showdown begins after U.S. warships enter Persian Gulf to help ships exit as Iran rattles saber

The months-long standoff over the Strait of Hormuz has reached a potentially decisive moment as the U.S. Navy sent warships through the contested waterway to help commercial ships exit the Persian Gulf.

U.S. Central Command said Monday that two destroyers are currently operating in the Gulf after transiting the strait, adding that two U.S.-flagged merchant vessels are safely under way.

“American forces are actively assisting efforts to restore transit for commercial shipping,” Central Command said in a post on X.

That came a day after President Donald Trump announced Project Freedom, a U.S. effort to guide ships from “neutral and innocent” countries out of the Strait of Hormuz, warning that any interference will “have to be dealt with forcefully.”

Earlier on Monday, Iranian state media claimed that Iran’s Islamic........

© Fortune